This month is a wonderful month. It is the month in which we celebrate all women. As March 8th commemorates gender equality and women, March is considered to be Women’s month. It is during this month that women from all over the world gather at the United Nations for the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW). This event is a wonderful occasion to celebrate women, gender equality and diversity, but also human rights for all. This occasion reminds us that we have a long way to ensure human rights for all. It is also a reminder of the crucial role that women play in families and how this work, while un-remunerated, is practically invaluable…our society depends on it! So lets celebrate together Women’s month by striving to achieve gender equality and to end discrimination and abuse of women worldwide!
Press release by UN Women:
The sixty-second session of the Commission on the Status of Women will take place at the United Nations Headquarters in New York from 12 to 23 March 2018.
Representatives of Member States, UN entities, and ECOSOC-accredited non-governmental organizations (NGOs) from all regions of the world are welcome to attend the session.
Download the CSW62 Brochure for more information:
Arabic | English | French | Spanish
- Priority theme:
Challenges and opportunities in achieving gender equality and the empowerment of rural women and girls;
- Review theme:
Participation in and access of women to the media, and information and communications technologies and their impact on and use as an instrument for the advancement and empowerment of women (agreed conclusions of the forty-seventh session);
The Bureau of the Commission plays a crucial role in facilitating the preparation for, and in ensuring the successful outcome of the annual sessions of the Commission. Bureau members serve for two years. In 2002, in order to improve its work and ensure continuity, the Commission decided to hold the first meeting of its subsequent session, immediately following the closure of the regular session, for the sole purpose of electing the new Chairperson and other members of the Bureau (ECOSOC decision 2002/234).
The Bureau for the 62nd session (2018) of the Commission on the Status of Women comprises the following members:
- H.E. Ms. Geraldine Byrne Nason (Ireland), Chair (Western European and other States Group)
- Ms. Koki Muli Grignon (Kenya), Vice-Chair (African States Group)
- Mr. Mauricio Carabali Baquero (Colombia), Vice-Chair (Latin American and Caribbean States Group)
- Ms. Rena Tasuja (Estonia), Vice-Chair (Eastern European States Group)
- Mr. Shah Asif Rahman (Bangladesh), Vice-Chair (Asia-Pacific States Group)
- FSN Forum
- Multi-Stakeholder Forum
- Expert Group Meeting In preparation for the sixty-second session of the Commission on the Status of Women, UN Women convened an Expert Group Meeting on the priority theme: “Challenges and opportunities in achieving gender equality and the empowerment of rural women and girls.” The Expert Group Meeting was co-convened by the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) and World Food Programme (WFP) at IFAD Headquarters in Rome, Italy, on 20 to 22 September 2017.
Organization of the session
The Commission’s two-week session will include the following activities:
CSW62 draft agreed conclusions
- Modalities of NGO participation
- Opportunities for NGOs to address the Commission
- NGO advisories